Log in Subscribe

A few of our stories and columns are now in front of the paywall. We at The Chief-Leader remain committed to independent reporting on labor and civil service. It's been our mission since 1897. You can have a hand in ensuring that our reporting remains relevant in the decades to come. Consider supporting The Chief, which you can do for as little as $3.20 a month.

Your real estate

Older NYC residents can benefit from rent break


The Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) is a vital program in New York City designed to help senior citizens manage their housing costs. Given the city's high cost of living, SCRIE offers significant relief to those who qualify, ensuring that they can afford to stay in their homes without being overwhelmed by rent increases. 

Below is an outline of the eligibility criteria, necessary documentation and application process for the SCRIE program, highlighting its importance in providing financial stability to New York City's senior residents.

Eligibility criteria

To qualify for SCRIE, applicants must meet several specific conditions:

• The primary applicant must be 62 years of age or older.

• The applicant must live in a rent-controlled, rent-regulated, or rent-stabilized apartment and be on the lease of the apartment.

• The combined income of all household members must be less than $50,000 annually.

• The applicant must spend more than one-third of their combined household income on rent.

Application Process and Required Documentation.

Required documentation

To apply for the SCRIE program, applicants must complete and sign an application form and provide various documents to verify their eligibility. The documentation required includes:

1. Proof of age for all members of the household.

2. Income documentation for themselves and each household member for the calendar year immediately preceding the application date. 

3. Proof of rent: Depending on the type of apartment, different documents are required. For rent-stabilized apartments, applicants must provide current and prior leases signed by both the tenant and the landlord. If applicable, a preferential rent or Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) rider should also be included. 

For rent-controlled apartments, applicants need to submit the current year (and prior year, if applicable) Notice of Increase in Maximum Base Rent and Maximum Collectible Rent Form RN-26.

For rent-regulated hotel/single room occupancy, required documents include the Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR) annual apartment registration for the current and prior year, along with a letter from management or the owner indicating current and prior rent amounts.

4. Power of attorney if someone other than the applicant is signing the application on their behalf.

Applicants are also required to provide their Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). 

For additional assistance, applicants can call 311 or visit the SCRIE contact page at www.nyc.gov/contactscrie.

Mathew Joseph is a real estate tax consultant. He can be reached at 929-393-5773 or at realtorplus1@yahoo.com.


No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here