Fire Lieut. Brian J. Sullivan, a 27-year veteran assigned to Squad Company 41 in The Bronx, suffered a fatal heart attack Aug. 10 after responding to a kitchen fire during a 24-hour tour of duty that ended the previous day. He was 54 years old.

“Lieutenant Sullivan was a veteran fire officer and dedicated member of our elite Special Operations Command who bravely served the department for nearly three decades,” said Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro, who announced his death Aug. 13 in a joint statement with Mayor de Blasio. “The city and the entire department mourn the loss of this brave individual who spent his career protecting life and property and rescuing others from harm.”


A Busy Final Tour

Officials noted that Lieutenant Sullivan led Squad Company 41 in responding to seven emergencies during his 24-hour tour, including several medical calls and a fire at 255 East 138th St. on the evening of Aug. 8—the third one he responded to in as many days. Throughout the tour, they said, he had complained of pain and discomfort to subordinates but continued working until it was completed the following day.

Later that evening, he lay down at his home in Monroe, N.Y. until his wife, finding him unresponsive, called 911 and began administering CPR. He was subsequently rushed to Orange County Regional Medical Center in cardiac arrest, and pronounced dead at 12:10 a.m. last Saturday.

James Lemonda, the president of Lieutenant Sullivan’s union, the Uniformed Fire Officers Association, said in a phone interview, “He was assigned to one of our specialized companies, a very highly motivated, highly trained individual.” He noted that Squad Co. 41 is “one of our more-active units—they jump from The Bronx over to Harlem” in response to emergency calls.

‘Always Helping’

“He was a great family man, devoted to his wife, to his kids, the kind of guy you want as a neighbor because he was always there helping everybody,” Mr. Lemonda said.

Lieutenant Sullivan was the 1, 153rd member of the FDNY to die of injuries sustained in the line of duty. Besides his wife, he is survived by his daughters Nicole, 22, and Samantha, 17.

Wakes are being held at Smith Seaman & Quackenbush Inc., 117 Maple Ave. East in Monroe, on Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m., and Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. and from 6 to 8. The funeral will be held Friday, Aug. 16 at 11 a.m. in Sacred Heart Church, 26 Still Rd. in Monroe.

We depend on the support of readers like you to help keep our publication strong and independent. Join us.


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.